12 questions about values financial advisers should ask their clients
With Australians donating nearly $12 billion to charities annually, it’s important for financial advisers to understand their clients’ giving habits, charitable interests and giving goals. Talking about philanthropy with clients is not just an effective way to help optimise their tax obligations; it is an essential chance to connect on their most fundamental values. Values-based discussions can be an effective way to strengthen client relationships, better determine their priorities, and deliver on rewarding personal goals.
When and how to talk values
Values-based questions are particularly relevant at specific points of the client timeline:
Initial meeting and fact find
Values and life objectives are all on the table to build a strong, personal connection.
- Is charitable giving something you engage in as a family?
- Why did you become involved in supporting this cause or charity?
- What would you say are your personal or family values?
End of year tax planning or upcoming capital gains tax event
Propose a strategy that is both tax-effective and personally rewarding.
- Have you thought about where you want to donate this sum?
- What positive community impact would you like to contribute to over the long term?
- Would you like to involve your family in choosing where to give?
Major liquidity event (business sale, inheritance, lottery win)
Memorial gifts or community contributions can be highly significant.
- Have you thought of making a gift or establishing a named foundation in memory of your loved one?
- Do you have any ideas or goals around ‘giving back’ to the community?
- Do you need more time to decide on your charitable values and desired impact? (Private ancillary funds and giving funds are ideal vehicles for large sums, as tax-deductions are instant and distribution decisions can follow later)
Estate and succession planning
Planning for personal legacy and intergenerational philanthropy can provide deep assurance.
- If you could leave a personal legacy, what would it be?
- Have you thought about ongoing giving to support a cause beyond your lifetime?
- Are you hoping that your children will continue your charitable work? Do their giving values align with yours?
We can help you
Australian Philanthropic Services works with wealth advisers to help them build a philanthropic offering for their clients. Our services complement the support clients already receive from their advisers.
Contact our expert team for additional resources on values-based giving, structured philanthropy, and ancillary fund solutions.