Apply for your director identification number
If you are a private ancillary fund (PAF) director, you’ll need a director identification number (director ID) from the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) by 30 November 2022.
ABRS is a new service from the Australian Government to streamline how you register, view and maintain your business information with the government. A director ID is a 15-digit identification number used by each eligible director as proof of their identity.
Who needs a director ID?
You need a director ID if you’re a director of a/an:
- Company set up under the Corporations Act 2001, including a corporate trustee of an ancillary fund or a self-managed superannuation fund
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- Charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- Registered Australian body, for example, an incorporated association that is registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and trades outside the state or territory in which it is incorporated
- Foreign company registered with ASIC and carrying on business in Australia (regardless of where you live)
When should you apply for your director ID?
The dates by which you must apply for your director ID depend on when you were appointed a director.
Corporations Act directors
|Date you become a director||Date you must apply|
|On or before 31 October 2021||By 30 November 2022|
|Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022||Within 28 days of appointment|
|From 5 April 2022||Before appointment|
How do you apply for your director ID?
All directors need to apply for their own director ID because they need to supply identification. The fastest way is to apply online using your myGovID. If you prefer to do so, you can apply by phone or on paper.
If you don’t have myGovID set up or don’t want to apply online
Find out how to set up myGovID on your smart device by going to https://www.mygovid.gov.au/set-up
Once you have myGovID set up with a standard or strong identity setting, you can log in to myGovID on your device and complete the application for your DIN. You will need to have some forms of identity that the ATO has on file about you, such as your TFN and your residential address. You must also be able to answer some questions that the ATO knows about you.
If you don’t have a smart device or prefer to apply for your DIN by phone or on paper, you can also do that.
In both cases, go to https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/apply-director-identification-number/verify-your-identity for further details.
For a step-by-step guide on how to set up your myGovID and apply for your director ID, go to the Australian Business Registry Services website at https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/apply-director-identification-number.
If you already have a director ID
If you already have a director ID and are a client of Australian Philanthropic Services, please supply your ID number to APS as soon as possible upon attainment.